This Back Country Byway spans 67 miles beginning in Fort Churchill and ending in Wellington. Fort Churchill was named after Inspector General Sylvester Churchill of the US Army upon its construction in the 1860s. It was built in order to protect the Pony Express riders and settlers against the Indians. In 1957 Fort Churchill became part of the Nevada State Park system. Have fun exploring the area and learning about the significance of Fort Churchill.