Visit the Sterling Highway and the surrounding Kenai Peninsula for world-class recreational opportunities, including access to the Chugach National Forest, the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, and numerous Alaska State Parks. With access to fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain biking, river rafting, sea and river kayaking, back-country and cross-country skiing, wildlife viewing, canoeing, snowmobiling, bird watching, and dog-mushing, this byway has earned its reputation as "Alaska's Playground."
Exceptional fishing opportunities are accessible along the entire length of the Sterling Highway. The northern segment provides easy access to two of Alaska’s largest river salmon fisheries, the Russian and Kenai Rivers, known by fishing enthusiasts as one of the world's most productive salmon river systems. The south segment provides access to world-class saltwater fishing, and the community of Homer is called the "Halibut Capital of the World". This world-class fishing is the most popular activity for both residents and visitors to Alaska.
In addition to world-class fishing, hundreds of recreation opportunities exist along the byway. A vast majority of those who visit the Sterling Highway also take advantage of other outstanding recreation opportunities found in the area.
Simply put, the northern segment of the Sterling Highway provides access to world-class freshwater fishing, while the southern portion provides access to world-class saltwater fishing. Together these corridors access "Alaska's Playground" and make the Sterling Highway the “Premier Fishing Byway in North America."
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game: North Sterling
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game: Regulations and Licenses
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game: South Sterling
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game: Sport Fishing Guide
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game: Wildlife Viewing
- Alaska Islands and Oceans Visitor Center
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge
- Alaska State Parks
- Anchor Point Chamber of Commerce
- Chugach National Forest
- Cooper Landing Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau
- Homer Chamber of Commerce
- Homer Travel Guide
- Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
- Kenai Peninsula Travel Guide
- National Park Service: Katmai National Park & Preserve
- National Park Service: Lake Clark National Park & Preserve
- Sterling Highway
- Sterling Highway Milepost Travel Guide